The ﬁrst bank in Ansley was established in the year 1888, by C. J. Stevens, F. M. Rublee, and B. F. Haeke, and was known as the Ansley Banking Company. In 1902 C. Mackey, Frank Young, and T. T. Varney bought out the banking company and reorganized it as the First National Bank. It continued as such until 1916, when it was changed to the State Bank of Ansley. Its present ofﬁcers are: President, C. Mackey; vice-president, B. J. Tierney; cashier, R. A. Studley; assistant cashier, E. O. Morris; other stockholders and directors, Andrew Sherbeck and Anthony Wilkinson. Its present capital and surplus aggregate $40,000 and its deposits $500,000. In the year 1887 Peter Fowlie and William West organized the Bank of Ansley, but this failed in the year 1890.
The Farmers’ State Bank was organized in 1905. Its ﬁrst president was Walter E. Newcomb and its ﬁrst cashier was George E. Richtmyer. Mr. Newcomb was succeeded by Frank Baker and he by George E. Richtmyer, who continued as president up to the time of his death, October 1, 1917. The present officers are: President, Frank Baker; vice-president, Lewis S. Newcomb; cashier, Grover A. Holeman; assistant cashier, A. C. Van Home. In the 1907 panic this bank never refused to cash a check. Its present authorized capital is $25,000 and its deposits amount to over $200,000.
The Security State Bank was organized February 5, 1915. Its ﬁrst president was A. P. Dobesh and its ﬁrst cashier was F. N. Austin. Its present captial and surplus amount to $21,000 with deposits of $220,000. Its resources have increased from $57,840.97 in August, 1915, to $244,983.89 in August, 1918. Its present ofﬁcers are: President, William Ihlow; vice-president, Henry Schmid; cashier, E. P. Gaines; assistant cashier. D. C. Thompson.
History of Custer County, Nebraska, A Narrative of the Past, with special emphasis upon the pioneer period of the county’s history, its social, commercial, educational, religious and civic development from the early days to the present time.
William Levi Gaston, A. R. Humphrey
Copyright, 1919 by Western Publishing & Engraving Co.